Appearing at court can be a daunting prospect. While designed to meet the needs of trainee solicitors, this seminar provides guidance and practical tips for anyone preparing for, conducting and reporting on simple criminal court appearances. The course is particularly beneficial to second year trainees who have a restricted practising certificate.
This seminar covers the following topics:
- Preparing for a court appearance
- Court room etiquette, ethics and professional standards
- Client care and Criminal Quality Assurance standards
- Pleas in mitigation and basic trial advocacy, including examination in chief and cross examination
- Advising in the police station and the impact of the changes in the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2016