Though not a prerequisite, this course is designed to explore themes introduced in 'The Sheriff Court (Civil) - everything you need to know'.
To successfully prepare for, conduct and report on Proofs and Debates in the Sheriff Court
- a refresher on Sheriff Court ordinary/summary cause/simple procedure
- Pre-proof hearings and how to prepare for Proof
- the format of a Proof diet and the role of written pleadings
- practical guidance on how to conduct a Proof - questioning witnesses, dealing with productions and framing submissions
- preparation for and appearing at Debates - pleas-in-law, Rule 22 Notes and legal argument
- question and answer session
This seminar is designed to satisfy a number of PEAT2 outcomes (professional communication: advocacy and professional ethics and standards: duties to the court) as well as build confidence in potential civil litigators.